Duddell Street is named after George Duddell (1821-1887), who came to Hong Kong in 1844 via British Burma. By 1850, he became a major landowner in the newly established colony and some of his land was located in the vicinity of this street. Duddell returned to England in 1858 and only visited Hong Kong just once more, in 1881-1882, before his death.
Unsurprisingly, none of the buildings along the street was of much historical interests. However, it is worthy to note that both Dina House and Ruttonjee House have been properties of the very important Parsee family, the Ruttonjees, for many years, and the present buildings are erected on the sites of the original Dina House and Ruttonjee House. During the war, Jehangir Ruttonjee opened these two buildings to house other members of the Hong Kong Parsee community, offering them shelter and food. His valiance earned him and his son imprisonment by the Japanese.